When it comes to our health, we all try different methods and processes to boost our health, Then be it weird and awkward practices, or just some fad rumors.
One such method to improve men’s health since the beginning of time is Semen retention. While hearing the words ‘semen retention’, you might seem to think of it as a new trend but, it is one of the practices used since ancient times. Many men believe semen retention is beneficial for sperm mobility, Testosterone levels, and more pleasure in sexual activity.
Let’s Talk about what semen retention is and everything related to it. In this article, we are going to discuss the benefits, risks, and origins of semen retention.
Now, What does Semen retention means?
Semen retention is the practice of abstaining oneself from ejaculating. Semen retention is believed to be beneficial for men’s physical and mental health. While there are no definitive scientific studies and evidence behind the health benefits of controlling yourself from ejaculatory practices, there are also no ill effects of it. Climaxing or intentionally controlling to not to climax is more of an independent choice varying from one person to another. One can indulge in sexual activity and still not ejaculate.
Origins of the practice of semen retention
Semen retention is not an invention of the 21st century. But it is a concept that has been around for a long time in many cultures. Numerous cultures associate semen retention practice with spiritual and sexual beliefs, medical reasons, and fertility. Some men get pleasure out of self-control ejaculatory practices.
- In Chinese culture, particularly in the Taoist tradition, semen is believed to have energy in hormones, vitamins, and minerals that should not be drained out of the body. Many Taoist practitioners believe ejaculation leads to loss of vital life force and, excessive sperm loss risks premature aging, disease, and tiredness. Taoist philosophers say the retention of semen is one of the fundamental parts of sexual practices.
- In Hindu mythology, ‘Brahmacharya‘ is related to semen retention practice. In Vedic culture, the men practicing brahmacharya are needed to conserve the semen in their body which will increase their strength and brings them closer to the supreme soul. In the Indian epic Ramayana, Lord Ram’s younger brother, Lord Lakshman remained a brahmacharya for 14 years of their stay in the forest to conserve his energy and strength to fight off the evil.
- In western countries, some scholars like Aristotle and Galen have talked about the physiology of ejaculation and masturbation. According to the author Napoleon Hill, men can harness their sexual energy and redirect it for material success and creative genius. Hill has named a few famous men throughout history who have supported semen retention like George Washington, Napoleon Bonaparte, William Shakespeare, Abraham Lincoln, etc.
- Sun Simiao, a Chinese doctor and philosopher, said that a man could receive the benefits of semen retention and still experience ejaculation twice per month.
- Semen is believed to be the very essence of the Life-force of men. Tantric sex is another example where semen retention plays a vital role.
- In the European continent, multiple countries have supported this process too. For example, in ancient Greece, particularly the Spartans valued semen retention.
Semen Retention is also known as
- Coitus reservatus
- Seminal conservation
- sexual continence
- karezza (Italian)
- maithuna (Hindu Tantra)
- Cai Yin Pu Yang and Cai Yang Pu Yin (Taoist)
How is semen retention done?
The most common way of implementing semen retention is to abstain from any sexual activity or masturbation completely. Some people choose celibacy as a way to practice semen retention. Many men who choose to have sexual activity or masturbate practice and discipline themselves in not ejaculating and reaching an orgasm.
The way to do so is by flexing your pelvic muscles very strongly just before you would ejaculate, and by doing so, prevent orgasm. You need your pelvic muscles and others, and for that, you have to contract these muscles. For example, When you stop urinating midstream these are the muscles you are using. You can try this by exercising in sets of 10, holding and relaxing these muscles for several seconds each time, do this at least three times a day.
During intercourse, concentrate on these muscles and relax all others muscles like in the buttocks, legs, jaw, and arms. If you are about to reach orgasm, hold perfectly still to calm your body and contract your pelvic floor, putting all your attention on your partner. Pressing your perineum between the anus and the scrotum with a finger can also be helpful. This takes time and practice, so do not worry if you still reach ejaculation.
When you are masturbating, and you start to feel an orgasm building up just squeeze the end of the penis and keep squeezing it hard until the urge to climax passes and at the same time flex your pelvic muscles hard. You can repeat the process if you find it necessary.
Reasons men practice Semen Retention
Reasons may vary from one individual to another depending upon their personal beliefs and ideas. Following are some of the most common reasons why one would want to start semen retention.
- Increase in self-confidence
- Increase in sex drive
- Increase in Testosterone levels
- More pleasure in sexual activity
- Ability to self-control
- Health benefits
- Expansion of life force
- High energy levels
- Increases attraction towards women
- more intense orgasms
- sperm quality
- Spiritual reasons
- Semen retention improves your sex life
What kind of health benefits are said to be from Semen retention?
Based on a few studies and researches, semen retention can cause a few health benefits and keep your body healthy. Some of the benefits of semen retention are mentioned below:
1. Increase in testosterone levels
Men who do not masturbate regularly may have high testosterone levels, which may result in a deeper voice, thicker hair, greater strength and power, and weight loss. It can lead to some psychological effects like increased courage, self-confidence, and attraction towards women.
2. Decrease in Prolactin
Prolactin relaxes your body once you have climaxed, thereby making you sleepy. Semen retention can cause a decrease in prolactin levels, which may develop
- Increased stamina
- clear thought process
- Hair growth
3 . Self-control and Body awareness
Semen retention ensures your control of an individual’s body and mind. It makes you more aware of your body’s working.
These effects can vary from individual to individual. Many men who practice semen retention can have sex without ejaculating. It is something that can be done by discussing with your partner. Some people implement semen retention for the betterment of their relationship with their partner. Some people believe not ejaculating for a longer period can result in more intense orgasms. Purported effects also include improved sperm quality and therefore increase fertility. People practicing semen retention can masturbate and achieve orgasm without ejaculating. Achieving orgasms without ejaculating in semen retention is known as Dry orgasms.
Some Individuals might indulge in edging. Edging is the practice of engaging in sexual stimulation to the point of orgasm before stopping and starting again. One might achieve orgasms through edging.
Suggested: 6 Proper Ways to Bulk Up without Gaining Fat!
The downsides of semen retention
On the contrary to the benefits of semen retention, some studies have shown the downsides of semen retention. While many men feel good and healthy after semen retention, it is not the case for everyone. Some can feel discomfort, pain to abstain from ejaculating. It may cause a temporary medical condition known as Blue balls, where testicles ache from arousal without ejaculation. One should always consult a doctor or a medical consultant in case of any pain or physical discomfort. There haven’t been many scientific studies to back the risk caused by semen retention.
A person might face ejaculatory issues if they regularly prevent themselves from ejaculating or reaching orgasm. They may also develop retrograde ejaculation, which causes semen to travel back into the bladder.
For many people, semen retention equals celibacy. It can result in high sexual energy for some men, and not being able to release it might affect their concentration level, lack of focus, and irritability.
Benefits of ejaculating
- Few pieces of evidence suggest ejaculating frequently might lower the risk of prostate cancer.
- It can give you pleasure. When an individual ejaculates, the body releases endorphins, hormones that can help in blocking pain and making a person feel good.
- Decrease in anxiety, stress, and depression.
- Lower blood pressure
Semen retention is a personal decision and should be taken only if you feel comfortable with it. It is a decision that you must discuss with your partner before trying it. The effects of semen retention can be different for everyone. While it is generally safe you must consult your doctor before deciding anything. Semen retention is not something that you should try when you are trying to conceive. One should gather enough data before making a decision. Semen retention is a personal business and one should choose to try it for the right reasons, and think about the benefits it would have for you.
Sexologists, Doctors are always the safe bet. But you can always refer to books for knowledge. There are multiple books and ways to learn more data about semen retention. Some of the books on semen retention are mentioned below:
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. The link to the book is mentioned below.
(Think and Grow Rich, page 183)
- Practical Methods to Insure Success by Hiram E. Butler.
- Raja Yoga by Swami Vivekanand