Rum and coke is probably the most common cocktail out there and the easiest to make as well. It does not require a lot of spending or fancy resources as well. Though the slightly tricky part is the combination and proportion of rum to coke, though I doubt if it even can be called problematic based on literally how simple and easy it is.
Ingredients Required to make the Best Rum and Coke Recipe
The basic ingredients you need to make a rum and coke cocktail recipe are
- Rum: Now the rum can be of different types, but more on this later.
- Coke: The coke could be coca-cola if you want it to be a tad bit stronger or Pepsi. Though, to be honest, there is not a lot of difference between the two.
- Lemon: You require lemon for garnishing purposes and a token of formality so that the drink does not hit you hard.
- Ice: You require ice because, well, you are having a cocktail! So you need it to be chilled and icy; how self-explanatory!
- Glass: Because what else will you drink in your cocktail, right?
What Rum should you Select?
Now the selection of rum is important here based on your preference and whether you want to be half sober to act right or get completely wasted so that you end up calling your ex.
- If you want to go for the first situation, then you should go for light rum.
- Light rum is also known as silver or white rum. It does not have a colour and is light.
- The most common ones are Bacardi, Mount Gay, Havana Club etc.
- If you want to go wild and crazy, then go for dark rum.
- Dark rum is stronger and can cause you to get potentially wasted.
- The most common ones in India are Old Monk, Captain Morgan, Jolly Roger etc.
What is the Exact ratio for making the Rum and Coke Recipe?
Now it is time to mix rum with coke and create the perfect cocktail.
- If you have a 10-ounce glass, it needs to be filled with 4 ounces of coke and 2 ounces of rum.
- Since the ice will fill up half of the glass, you do not need to worry about the quantity is less.
- If you want to avoid the bitter taste of alcohol, then make sure to follow the 1:3 ratio.
- In that case, there exist 2 ounces of rum and 6 ounces of coke in the cocktail.
- Make sure you don’t overdo the coke; otherwise, it will taste sweet and like a mixture of sugar and ice.
- Avoid adding random splashes of rum and coke separately over the top, as it will only put off the flavour profile more.
The Role of Ice in it!
I mean, it is ice. At this point, if I tell you how to pour the glaze in a glass, it is just weird, but I will go ahead and do it anyway.
- Make sure the ice is only upto half of the capacity of the glass, not less than that, not more than that.
- You can also go for putting the rum and coke cocktail into the fridge.
- This way, you get the ultimate chilled taste of the cocktail and again, the ice melts slower than it would at normal room temperature.
Is Lime Wedge Important in the Cocktail?
You can add a lime wedge to the rum and coke recipe for garnishing purposes.
- You have to take a lemon, chop off both ends.
- Then you slice them into similar consistencies into thin slices.
- Once you cut them, you can splash them into the rum and coke recipe.
- A single lemon would be enough for one glass of rum and coke, whereas overdoing might lead to a weird acidic taste since lemon is citrus.
There you have the easiest possible recipe of rum and coke to make up for a perfect cocktail party or evening. Go on and create that perfect flavour profile with the current balance of sweet and sour and make us proud!