Even though the Monarchy was abolished from India in 1971, royal families continue to exist five decades later. They do not hold power or authority in governance matters like earlier, but they continue owning large estates and living a luxurious lifestyle. These families continue dominating the business domain and making quite a profit out of it.
Brief into the Royal Families of India!
1. The Royal Family of Jaipur
This royal family of India has managed to slip into the title of celebrity.
- Bhawani Singh was the last heir to rule Jaipur since he had no sons.
- Later on, he adopted the son of his daughter, Padmanabh Singh.
- Padmanabh Singh is the Maharaja of the city of palaces, along with being an ace polo player.
- Like the royal game of polo, this royal family wants to keep this game alive and bring more awareness to its popularity in India.
- This royal family has transferred the Rambagh Palace to the chain of Taj Hotels.
- The young Maharaja has made ties with AirBnB, where he put up the suites of the palace of Jaipur on websites of travel and tourism so that ordinary people can get a taste into the royal life.
2. The Royal Family of Jodhpur
The current Maharaja of Jodhpur, Maharaja Gaj Singh, resides in the palace called Umaid Bhavan along with his wife, two children, and their spouses.
- They have established a partnership with the Taj chain of Hotels where a part of the hotel is open for visiting for tourism purposes.
- Maharaja Gaj Singh, apart from handling the business of his palace as a tourist spot, was also a member of the Rajya Sabha.
- He had also served as the Indian High Commissioner a few years ago.
- The Umaid Bhavan fort is supposed to be the largest residence owned privately by anyone in the world.
3. The Nawab of Pataudi
India’s most famous royal family has to be none other than the Pataudi family, also strongly associated with the film industry.
- The last Nawab with the title of ruling Nawab of Pataudi was Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi.
- He was also a famous cricketer and played for the Indian Cricket Team.
- He tied the knot with the Indian actress Sharmila Tagore whose son, Saif Ali Khan, claimed the next title of Nawab.
- The Pataudi Palace alone holds worth of Rs. 800 crore, which only goes on to show how wealthy the Pataudi family might be.
- The next in line to claim the title of Nawab of Pataudi is Ibrahim Ali Khan, the eldest son of Saif Ali Khan, who has gained quite a female fan following due to his looks.
4. The Mewar Dynasty
The Mewar Dynasty is one of the royal families in India that is the most prolific and ancient out of all the royal families.
- Shriji Arvind Singh Mewar happens to be the last one to preserve the heritage of Mewar currently in Udaipur with his family.
- This royal family runs the famous HRH chain of hotels which remains the most extensive and only chain of heritage palace hotels privately owned in India.
- His son, Lakshyaraj Singh, managed to restore the Jagmandir island palace successfully.
- His work helped to make this palace the most exotic and royal wedding destination in the world.
5. The Wadiyar Dynasty
The Wadiyar royal family of India are the descendants of the richest scions.His demise left this royal family without any heir since he did not have any kids.
- When Yaduveer Krishnadutta Chamaraj Wadiyar, the king’s brother’s son, was declared the Maharaja of the Wadiyar dynasty.
- He owns the most famous silk brand based in Mysore, The Royal Silk of Mysore.
- Being the exotic piece of clothing it is, Silk brings in hefty earning for this royal family apart from their royal heritage.
- This royal family is speculated to own a combined wealth of Rs. 10,000 crore. Yes, you did read that right.
6. The Royal Family of Alsisar
This royal family’s ancestors ruled the Khetri kingdom of Rajasthan once upon a time.
- The current head of the family, Abhimanyu Singh, has successfully turned the Alsisar Palace into a heritage hotel for tourism.
- This royal family of India owns elaborate properties and heritage of palaces in Jaipur and Ranthambore as well.
- Abhimanyu Singh is also the co-owner of India’s most extraordinary music festival called Magnetic Fields.
- They generate a whopping number as their estimated earnings due to the various properties spread out in Jaipur, the heritage hotel, and the ownership from the music festivals.
These were some of India’s most famous royal families who continue living lavish lives that we can only dream of and see in movies and shows. Which one impressed you the most out of all these tell us in the comments.