If there was any fashion accessory that would be your go-to item and something that would require the least effort with the maximum amount of elegance, then it would be a white shirt.
This is one of the most versatile and magnificent fashion items for men because of its diverse looks and versatility, which can be sported for almost any occasion.
It is a classic look for men which should be there in every man’s wardrobe, which adds a layer of sophistication to your style and fashion.
This evergreen piece of clothing has a flair that no other item can compete against and is considered the epitome of gentlemanly panache.
The white shirt can provide you a premium look with little or no effort. Its ubiquitous nature makes it the most important clothing accessory of all time. Here is a complete guide regarding this timeless piece of fashion.
When to Wear a White Shirt?
A white shirt can be worn on any occasion and can still look better than any other item.
It is a staple clothing for a formal occasion which adds an element of sophistication to the suit you wear with it. With the right coat and pair of pants, a white shirt can work wonders for a man and bring the best out of him. You can wear a white shirt for weddings, graduation ceremonies, business meetings, or other semi-formal ceremonies.
This piece can be worn effortlessly for casual outings, which match almost any denim or pair of shoes. For example, a button-down shirt with chinos and jeans can steal the attention of everyone else and put the limelight on you.
In other words, a white shirt can be worn anywhere and anytime, and you would still end up looking good. This is the brilliance of this versatile item.
Tips for Wearing White Shirts
Best Material for a White Shirt
Men’s shirts are made from a range of materials, but when it comes to white shirts, the three best materials are:
- Poplin- This is a very professional fabric with an extremely smooth texture that causes wrinkles to appear on it very easily. Poplin is tightly woven with very few gaps between the weaves leading it to have a minimal sheen. This type of material is best suited for very formal occasions and for rare visits.
- Twill- This is a material that is weaved diagonally, making the texture either very subtle or very large that differs from company to company. The fibers are tightly woven together with a high thread count. Thus, it has a soft sheen and feels uncannily similar to silk that is very less prone to wrinkling.
- Pinpoint- This material is more casual than the above two but is still formal enough to be worn for office. This material is known for its durability, lightweight, and easy maintenance, which makes it the best material for anyone who wishes to wear a white shirt regularly. In addition, it is the most staple material because it does not wrinkle.
The Right Fit for a White Shirt
A corrector tailored fit of a shirt can make an enormous difference in how you look and appear. It is essential to have the right fit according to your body to avoid looking like someone you are not.
If the fit is too tight, you will look like you are overstuffed or that the size is too short for you. On the other hand, if the fit is loose and baggy, then it might give you a skinnier appearance than you already have, making you look like you are swimming in the shirt.
These are some of the tips for getting a perfect fit for your white shirt:
- Make sure that the sleeves are essential in fit and roomy enough to allow the movement of your biceps.
- The armhole should be wide enough to allow a comfortable range of motion but shouldn’t be baggy.
- Buy a shirt, or tailor it in a way such that the sleeves taper towards the wrist, giving a sleek look to your arms.
- The length of the shirt should be long enough so that it is properly tucked inside the pant and does not untuck while sitting or standing.
- There should be little space between the collar material and your skin, with a space of about two fingers.
How to Wear a White Shirt?
White Shirt with Suit
A white shirt with a suit is a classic combination that can never go out of style and always make some heads turn towards you. It can be paired with different colors to make you look like a gentleman:
White Shirt and Black Suit
White and black is an evergreen combination because of their opposing contrasts and their ability to bring out the best from each other.
Black is a very sleek and polished color that creates a beautiful contrast and makes both the colors pop out in a quality look when paired with a white shirt.
To get that sophisticated and impressive look, you can opt for a black tuxedo, and people would be mistaking you for James Bond.
White Shirt and Navy Suit
While navy suits are not as classic as black suits, they are considered one of the manliest colors.
It matches firmly and strongly with a white shirt to bring out the man in you and works exceedingly well for formal occasions.
Navy blue is a vintage color that can never go wrong with a versatile color like white, and when coupled with a rightly tailored suit, it can bring out the handsomeness in you.
White Shirt and Blue Suit
If you are looking to wear a suit for a casual occasion and still look dapper, make a blue fitted suit a part of your wardrobe.
This combination is becoming increasingly popular in recent times because blue projects confidence like no other color. However, blue is also considered to be psychologically very cheery because of its bright shade.
It is sure to make some heads turn as the white shirt accentuates the blue color making you look great and polished.
White Shirt with Brown Suit
Brown and its different shades and hues work amazingly well with white when paired with the right pants and shoes, making the colors pop out for a visually appealing contrast.
Brown, cream, and tan are warm colors suitable for the winter season and would look great with a white shirt in a very sober, simple, and classic outfit.
White Shirt with Pants
While wearing a white shirt, it is essential to wear the right pants with the right fit, texture, and color to create an attention-grabbing style.
White Shirt with Chinos
Chinos are a fundamental look, but it suddenly changes the game if you wear them with a white shirt.
Chinos are crisp and fresh outfits that indicate high quality and stand out when paired with a white shirt.
You need to make sure that the chinos are closely fitted with your leg to accentuate your leg muscles. For a simple yet classy combination, pair a white oxford shirt with olive-colored, tab-waisted linen trousers to give yourself a head start and a style punch.
White Shirt with Khakis
If you are looking for a relaxed and comfortable style to go out with, then you should know that khaki pants are considered to be the epitome of being casual.
You can go to your nearby grocery store or mall by pairing a nice button-down white shirt with green khakis to look at your casual best.
This is a great outfit for frequent out-goers who want both comfort and class.
White Shirt with Dress Pants
Dress pant is a versatile outfit covering many bases and can look equally good on informal and casual occasions.
The pant can wear to the office and then to the after-office party adding a layer of comfort and easiness.
Making this outfit a part of your wardrobe will add a quality of distinction and sophistication. It looks flattering, fresh, and you can even experiment with pants by adding pinstripes or other patterns to them.
White Shirt with Jeans
Wearing a white shirt with jeans is one of the oldest tricks in men’s books, and there will never come a time when this will look timeless.
It adds an element of sophistication and coolness like no other pair, and it is a must for your wardrobe.
You are not a man if you do not have pair of jeans and a button-down white shirt.
Some great combinations are to wear distressed skinny jeans with a chambray or plain poplin white shirt for a bombarding combination.
If you wish to go for a polished look, you can wear indigo denim with a boot cut which can even work in formal situations.
There is nothing, we repeat Nothing, that can go wrong with white shirts and jeans.
White Shirt with Shorts
This is hands down the best combination for summers or if you are looking to visit a beach.
If you do not have the beach body that you can flaunt, you can definitely flaunt your sense of style by wearing a button-down white oxford shirt with Bermuda shorts.
You can even opt for French linen with its natural creases to add a layer of insouciance like no other.
Here you can pair your well-fitted shorts with a half-sleeve white shirt and flaunt those huge biceps of yours.
White Shirt and Shoes
While a white shirt in itself is a huge presence, shoes strongly complement the outfit. You shouldTherefore, be very careful with the choice of your shoes depending on the occasion you wear them for.
For a casual outing with your girlfriend or a night out with friends, wear the ever classic and ever nonchalant white sneakers or a pair of cool loafers to make you look great.
For formal occasions, try various suites and Monk shoes for the optimum kind of sophistication you require.
Maintaining your White Shirts
You need to follow these steps to maintain the whiteness and crispiness of your white shirt:
- Regular washing with a good quality soap will ensure that dust or other dirt does not settle on your shirt.
- Invest in a good quality bleach to maintain the whiteness of your shirt and bleach it from time to time.
- Iron your shirt every time it comes out of the dryer in a proper way to prevent wrinkles and creases from coming over it. Nothing looks worse than a badly ironed and wrinkled shirt, believe me.
- Don’t just throw your shirt into the cupboard after ironing it like a teenage girl. Instead, fold and hang it in your cupboard carefully and properly.
There is not much that we can say to emphasize the importance of a white shirt in your wardrobe. It is the most classic look and is a sure-shot way to impress the ladies and grab their attention.
You need to have a white shirt with you. It is extremely versatile and can be paired with a huge range of outfits for you to look great and content.
Personally, I believe the white shirt to be the most fashionable accessory for men.
Also Read: Differentiating between the uses of Shaving Gel, Foam and Cream.