Wrinkled shirts are a huge turn-off! Whether you have a professional meeting or a date with someone special, a wrinkled shirt will have the ability to ruin it for you. Our appearances matter and wrinkled shirts act as a black spot on our personality.
Your clothes and the way you carry your clothes say a lot about you and your persona. Your appearance is the first thing that people notice and judge the first impression according to it. Wearing a wrinkled piece of clothing can have a negative effect on your first impressions and give your shirt a poor body fit.
Ironing your clothes is a life skill that every man must know. You cannot depend upon your parents or your partner to iron your shirt for you, especially single men living alone. That is the reason why we have an ultimate guide for you on how to iron your shirts both for beginners and some amazing tricks and tips for those who are already adept at the process of ironing a shirt.
Why do you need to iron a shirt?
- The ironed shirt makes you look professional and handsomely dressed, ready for anything at any time.
- Ironing helps your clothing fabric to stay in a quality condition for a long time. It makes the fabric soft and it lasts long. It also allows your dress shirt to retain its original shape and fit.
- Ironing at home will save your bucks! instead of spending a lot on dry cleaning just iron your shirts and crease at home regularly and it will have the same outcome.
- After washing and drying your cloth, steam ironing will help in removing any kind of bacteria left from your body odor. It will make your shirt just as good as new.
- Ironing your cloth is a safer option than dry cleaning. Chemicals used in dry cleaning can have an adverse effect on the fabric quality. Ironing your garments is the safer bet here.
- Some cloth might shrink on getting washed and dried but ironing them will make them retain their original form.
How to iron a shirt?
To iron a shirt you will need a washed and dried dress shirt and an iron. Following are some of the steps you might have to learn before ironing a dress shirt.
- Let’s start with the collar of the shirts. You will have to open it flat and iron both front and back sides, starting from the outer end and working inwards properly.
- Next, fold over and pinch the fold and run the iron over the whole folded collar for it to be crisp.
- The cuff of the shirt is the next thing on our list. Just like the collar, you will have to open out the cuffs and iron it from the inside first and then similarly iron it from the outside.
- And finally, iron over the fold, this will give you a crease-free cuff.
- The yoke is the top part of the front and back shoulder section.
- To iron the yoke you will have to start ironing from one side then work in the middle and lastly turn the shirt and iron the other side.
- Ironing the back f the shirt is a simple task, just dampen the shirt and iron all over to remove any existing creases.
- Next on the agenda is the front side of the shirt where buttons and buttonholes are placed.
- Using the pointy end of the iron start ironing the shirt and use the pointy end to iron between the buttons.
- Finally, iron the whole front section that is still left.
- Now, it’s time to iron the sleeves, for this make sure you know where the fold is at the seam.
- Straighten the sleeves of the iron board and Iron both sides of the sleeves till they are wrinkle-free and crisp.
Equipment needed to iron clothes
For best results you will need the best equipment, we have compiled a list of all types of equipment you will be needing to iron your clothing.
A clean good iron
Make sure your iron is in a good condition and the base plate of iron is rust-free. Most irons are somewhere between 400 watts to 1800 watts depending upon the size. Power consumption in ironing plays a vital role as it decided the heat factor for the garments.
Different kinds of irons are available in the market according to your convenience. Different fabric materials need different kinds of iron and ironing techniques. Following are some of the types of iron’s:
- A steam iron has a water tank for obvious reason, to create steam which makes ironing easy and effective.
- Steam irons have multiple inputs and output holes on the soleplate. Input holes are for pouring water which will create steam and output holes are for letting the steam out.
- Steam iron includes a spray mist to dampen your cloth before ironing it. You do not need to re-iron a cloth once you have ironed it with a steam iron.
- Dry iron doesn’t leak water as it comes without a water tank.
- Dry irons have a smooth soleplate without any holes, which is good for almost all kinds of fabrics. It is also easier to clean the dry iron for the same reasons.
- Dry irons are pocket-friendly and have a long life.
Vertical steam iron
- You can iron your shirt and other garments vertically, just hang the shirt on the hanger and you can steam it with a vertical steam iron.
- It produces steam just like a steam iron but is easier to use and takes less time.
- It has a ceramic plate that can slide easily on any fabric and garment and give you a wrinkle-free shirt.
Here are links for purchasing steam, dry and vertical iron.
- Steam iron https://www.amazon.in/s?k=steam+iron&ref=nb_sb_noss
- Dry iron https://www.amazon.in/s?k=dry+iron&ref=nb_sb_noss
- Vertical steam iron https://www.amazon.in/s?k=vertical+steam+iron&crid=LOY5CKP0EI54&sprefix=vertical+steam%2Caps%2C309&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_14
An ironing board makes it easier to iron a dress shirt or any cloth for that matter. Ironing boards are a better option instead of using a desk covered with a sheet or towel to iron.
An ironing board is a long and lean board with a narrow end at one side covered with a cloth and has folding legs to make it stand on. You can iron clothes on an ironing board easily. The ironing board is available in different materials and at different budgets.
Here is an amazon link for the Ironing board. https://www.amazon.in/s?k=ironing+board&ref=nb_sb_noss
Before ironing a fabric you will have to dampen it first so that the cloth is repressed and in an unwrinkled state. Spraying water on the shirt will also reduce the risk of burning it.
Always use distilled water for ironing.
A clean shirt
Finally, you need a dress shirt or any cloth to iron it. Make sure your dress shirt is washed and properly dried.
Always remember to check if your shirt is tagged as iron friendly and keep in mind different fabrics need different temperatures.
It is a very helpful tool in the process of ironing a shirt. Starch gives you a smoother and crisp shirt. starching your clothes will make them last longer because dirt and dust will stick to the starch and not to the fabric.
Keep in mind to use the starch in moderation.
Here is the amazon link for spray starch. https://www.amazon.in/s?k=spry+starch&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
How to iron different fabric shirts?
Each fabric material requires a different heat temperature or else it might get ruined and different care while ironing.
For ironing your cotton shirts you will need to dampen your shirt first, and then iron it lengthwise and not in a circular motion. This will keep the fabric intact. If your shirt is thick you can iron both sides for better results.
Polyester is a heat-sensitive fabric and requires detailed attention when ironing. Use a hanky or sheet above the polyester shirt so that it is not in direct contact with the hot iron or else it might get stuck to the soleplate. The same is the case for silk and satin shirt.
Cotton blend shirts
For cotton blend shirts use a buffer cloth in between the shirt and iron to avoid the iron heat marks. Rest is the same as cotton shirts.
Recommended: Classic Look of Blazer with Jeans | Try in (2022)
Ironing Tips and tricks
- Use starch for better results and a crisp shirt.
- Always try to iron the inside of the shirt.
- Try to iron your shirts in batches instead of ironing one at a time. It will save you time. Iron one shirt over and repeat.
- Placing an aluminum foil under the board cloth will make the process easier and take less of your time.
- If you are not sure about the fabric of your shirt, use a steamer.
- Don’t put your shirts in a dryer instead iron them when they are a bit moist, it will give you a crisp shirt.
- Never iron a dress shirt or any garment with a stain. remove the stain and then iron it.
- Take care of your iron and ironing board, make sure the cloth of the ironing board is in good condition.
- Always read the warning tags on your garments and make sure it is safe to iron them.
- Always use a hot iron and a flat surface
- It is better to iron the back and front.
In short, always remember to iron your shirt and clothes and use the best products for better results. Ironing will relieve you from body odor too. Knowing how to iron a shirt is essential for being independent. Buy and use an iron that suits your routine and your style of cloth material.
Keep practicing and you will be a master of ironing clothes in no time!