Men who love beards often try to go to any extent which can help them in increasing their beard growth. Some of them even drink a lot of alcohol to increase their beard growth in less time. But the question is ” Is alcohol and beard growth connected?” Let’s find out.
Relationship Between Alcohol And Beard Growth:
Now, before I directly jump on to the conclusion on whether alcohol increases beard growth or not? It’s really important to understand the relationship between Alcohol and beard growth. So, first, let us understand what relations do alcohol and beard growth share with each other.
Alcohol such as beer does have some great nutrients for hair growth such as vitamins B, B6, B12, niacin and all of these are great for hair growth and these nutrients play a vital role in increasing the growth rate of your beard. Alcohol is also packed full of antioxidants.
Alcohol And Facial Hair:
As we discussed above, what value nutrients alcohol has on an individual’s hair growth, Similarly the nutrients in alcohol affect beard growth, in the same manner, it also affects an individual’s facial hair such as eyebrows or mustache.
Alcohol has the same effect on hair of any part of your body be it beard or facial hair or just your scalp hair, it affects similarly as it affects hair on your face.
Does Alcohol Increase Beard Growth?
Till now, we have discussed that alcohol affects beard growth but now we are gonna find out does alcohol increase beard growth?
Well, the answer to this question is a bit complicated as the answer is neither a direct yes nor a direct no. Confused? Well, let me help you to answer why the answers are a bit tricky.
See, the answer to this question depends upon the intake of alcohol by an individual. If a person drinks lots of alcohol then the answer to this question is a straight NO!!! And here’s why.
- Drinking lots of alcohol throws off the acid-alkaline balance in your body and thus, making your body a lot more acidic. Now, here’s how your body reacts to this increase in acid in your body. To balance acid-alkaline, your body starts using stored proteins and one of those proteins is keratin and Keratin is the protein that helps to build hair follicles. Thus, it can hinder your beard growth.
- Alcohol also causes dehydration as it is diuretic and creates more urine which makes you pee more so the body becomes dehydrated and the dehydrated state is not at all good for hair growth as it makes the hair brittle, weak, and dry. Apart from the hair it also makes the skin underneath the beard dry which causes dandruff.
- Drinking an excessive amount of alcohol also damages your liver and thus, your liver faces trouble removing all of those toxins out of your bloodstreams, making these toxins constantly circulating through your body that can cause damage to the hair or hair follicle.
- Alcohol can also cause Zinc and iron deficiency. Now, your body needs zinc for the characterization process which is the formation of the protein keratin. If your body does not get these minerals it could cause stunted hair growth or the hair to fall out prematurely.
- Alcohol in excess can cause you to sleep poorly. It might be a little easier to fall asleep after drinking alcohol but you’ll not get the quality sleep your body needs thus, making you feel tired and stressed, and as we know that stress is a killer for hair.
However, having said all these points it’s also important to note that alcohol can help you in increasing your beard growth if you intake the alcohol in moderation.
Does alcohol cause facial hair growth?
As I mentioned above, alcohol has the same impact on the hair on any part of the body be it beard or facial hair like eyebrows. Therefore, Alcohol can cause facial growth but at the same time, excess consumption of alcohol can damage your facial hair as well.
Moreover, it is important to note that Alcohol affects Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) levels (DHT is an androgen and an androgen is a sex hormone that helps in the development of male sex characteristics, such as body hair). It makes testosterone convert to dihydrotestosterone, which promotes terminal facial hair but at the same time also promotes male pattern baldness.
Doing anything in moderation is good for our body, and that includes drinking alcohol to improve beard growth.